Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ad Deconstruction


Going through middle school getting my first phone, to high school. I have broken so many cell phones. I have also spent hundreds of dollars paying to overages on the bills due to playing games. I have always liked mac computers and when I found out about the iphone, I just had to have it. I told my mom "It's so durable, it wont break." I also told her, "Now I wont have to waste money on games, they come with the iphone!"

Seeing this ad, made me want that phone so bad, what I didn't realize was that there was a catch. What I can tell you now is that it really isn't durable, I broke 3 of them! There is also a catch with the whole application and game scenario. When you go to buy the iphone, you have to buy a data plan for an additional thirty dollars a month, which is not advertised on TV!

REPETITION: The phrase, "With the iphones new apps..." is said several times in one commercial, and it is also said in every other commercial about iphones.

BRIBERY:
If you buy this phone, look at all the cool apps you get to use.

ASSOCIATION:
Teenagers are going to be amazed by this phone that has "everything."

1 comment:

  1. This is a decent deconstruction of a phone commercial, in my opinion. You clearly state why this ad is misleading, as well as the types of persuasion used to get people to buy. The only critisism I can offer is that I wish you had been more in-depth, but I'm glad your deconstruction is, at least, to the point.

    ReplyDelete